Thursday, August 4, 2011

Green Monsters

Along with our goal to work out 3-4 days a week, Chris and I have been trying to incorporate more veggies into our diet.  This is pretty hard because he is not a fan of vegetables.  Back in the day I had no problems adding broccoli, beans and carrots into my weekly meals, but when I began cooking for him I started to slack.  He wouldn't eat them, so why bother to cook them?  I am getting better though.  I started to buy the veggies for myself and will just cook them on the side.

Chris will eat salad (normally just Caesar) but when tasting for our wedding menu he found a love for spinach.  After reading online about green monsters, a way to add another serving of veggies into your day, I decided to try it out.  There are several recipes online at Green Movement , but I normally just wing it with what can be found in our kitchen.

 Spinach, frozen berries, banana, strawberries and milk.

Stick it all in the blender and you're good to go.


The greener color depends on the ratio of spinach to fruit, as well as the type of fruit you're using.  Normally when I make them with the darker berries like frozen blueberries they turn out darker.


When I made them with just spinach, strawberries and bananas they turn out more green.

Ooo, fancy glass making a rare appearance in our kitchen 

They're tasty and a great way to add in some veggies after our morning work out.

Do you have to find interesting ways to get your spouse to eat veggies? Or is your spouse a veggie lover?

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, I'd be interested to try that! I definitely need to get more veggies into my diet (I'm the hater in our family!) and this could be an easy way to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to drink these all of the time and loved them - I never got very experimental like some though, I just stuck to fruit, spinach and milk for the most part. Maybe I should start up again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Amanda - Chris has loved them! Slowly but surely I might be able to get more veggies in his diet.

    @Stephanie - I've been tempted to get experimental, I may need to take the leap out of my comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete