Wednesday, November 9, 2011

On The Kindle: Same Kind Of Different As Me

"Same Kind of Different As Me" was the November selection for the book club and I have to admit I had mixed feelings as I began to read it.


Via Amazon

Reading about the life of African Americans in the days following slavery always breaks my heart. It's hard to read about the way that they were treated and think about how the lives of my grandparents and great grandparents really were.  But this novel has a very uplifting message about how one person can change the life of another and in turn make a difference to so many more.  Another book that had me in tears, but made me step back and be thankful for another day of life.  I feel like I connected a little bit more with this true story as it mainly took place in locations around Dallas and Ft. Worth, Texas.

Since the book club will be taking a break for the holidays I think I'm going to look into the Hunger Games or Stieg Larsson's Millennium trilogy (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest).  Any votes for which trilogy I should start first?

11 comments:

  1. I've only read the Stieg Larsson books, but they were all wonderful! So I recommend that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really moved by this book! I can feel very distanced and insulated from these kinds of stories, but that means I need to try harder to see the realities of the world we live in. I really appreciated uplifting message as well and it encouraged me to keep reaching out and to keep learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read the Stieg Larsson series yet, but I LOVED the Hunger Games trilogy. I could not put it down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree with you more on the part about trying harder to see the realities of the world we live in. Especially the later parts in the book which were in the past decade and to read how people still live. Also such a great message on the impact of volunteering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like a very emotional book--i'm glad there was something uplifting about it. i've heard great things about hunger games--let us know how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hunger games is an amazing series, I couldnt put them down and finished all 3 within 3 days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks guys! I think I'll kick off with the Hunger Games and then Larsson's series. I'm hoping to get through all of them in time to see the movies (although the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo may be on DVD by the time I read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only read the Hunger Games and not Stieg Larsson's books. The Hunger Games is a really good read! I did the whole series on my honeymoon. I could not put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've read all of the Hunger Games books and the first of the Millenium trilogy (the other two I'm doing for book club in the next few months), and I suggest reading Hunger Games trilogy first — you'll race through them! The other ones go a little slower since they're more dense! I have "Same Kind of Different As Me" and haven't read it yet, will have to start it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the review, Lauren! I've never heard of this book, but my background is in African American literature, and even though a lot of the books are heartbreaking to read, they often offer a fascinating and important portrayal of a very dark aspect of American history. I'm going to check this one out for sure. And I haven't read either the Hunger Games or the Girl series, so I'm no help there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's good to hear because I'm hoping to get a decent chunk of reading done before our January book, and that makes it sound like I could possibly get through all 3 of the Hunger games.

    ReplyDelete