Thursday, March 22, 2012

A Reverse View On Curtains

I've never been a big fan of curtains.  I grew up in a house with mainly blinds (with the exception of the valance in my parents bedroom that matched perfectly with their bedspread, classic 80s) and have never really been inclined to do much more.  I may have even hated curtains when I worked at Kmart in high school.  I worked in the home fashions department and spent much of my time trying to fold and place the curtains back into the bags after customers took them out and left them all over the floor.  Fun times, let me tell you.

Because of this, I wasn't jumping for joy when mom asked if I would help her put up some panels in my dad's office.  I thought the blinds were enough and dad would never really notice so what was the point?  Well I stand corrected.  Those panels make such a difference in that room!  But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself.  Let's start with the before shot of the room.


As you can see mom is working with light golds, maroon and some black as the main colors in this room.  We are by no means experts, so putting up this curtain rod took some trial and error.  After a little reading of the instructions, some measurements and finally the break out of drill we were on our way.


We used the tips found on Love & Renovations and The Handcrafted Life to go a little higher and further out to maximize the size of the window. 


I'm really surprised how much I liked the addition of the panels.  I love what they do for the room and am now tempted to add some curtains in our future home.

What are your views on curtains?  Are you a big fan or are your windows fitted with blinds alone?

10 comments:

  1. They look great! I'm a HUGE fan of curtains! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you again! I was actually pulling up your post as we were figuring out the placement.

      Delete
  2. I love curtains! One of our dogs tore up the blinds in our spare room, and we only have curtains in there now. It really makes the room look more cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i do like curtains but we live in rental right now and am not willing to go through the effort. however it is tempting as they would block out street lights at night in addition to looking nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that has been my biggest hurdles since we have rented I didn't want to put forth the effort. Once we own I think I would be more inclined.

      Delete
  4. We have mostly blinds only. I like curtains, but there are so many kinds and fabrics to choose from its daunting. Your dad's office curtains look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing how much of a difference curtains make! It took me a couple of years to do our living room and it was the best thing I ever did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Curtains can just transform a room! I agree with Mina though- I've struggled with adding more (just covered the ones where the blinds didn't go the entire length of the window)because we're in a rental too- Once we get our own place... I think I may go curtain crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm also not a huge fan of curtains, but you may be convincing me to reconsider them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also used to not be a huge fan of curtains, but I've recently come to really appreciate them and have been pining away for some of my own. These look great - you and your mom are curtain-hanging pros!

    ReplyDelete